Monday, March 31, 2014

what my dad said.

It all started this morning when Henry asked about going to Sea World. 

I said no. 

Actually I said, "No, Sea World isn't a good place.  They're not nice to their animals."

And of course he was mad...yadda yadda yadda.

For the briefest of seconds I thought of how easy it is to give in; how much easier it would be to allow my kids to go with the flow, attend Sea World with their friends and just go on with my merry life.  But then this thing my dad used to tell me popped in my head, "You have to stand for something or you'll fall for everything."

I felt a little bit stronger as I battled Henry on his begging to go to Sea World, after reminding myself of why I was standing up to the issue.  And then I dug deeper.

Stand for something, or you'll fall for everything.

That's every day life for me, folks.  EVERY DAY LIFE. 

When disciplining my kids, being a disciple for Christ, when trying to be a role model for my sisters.  It all slides into this category.

I don't ever really stand up hard for anything.  I allow my kids, the world, and society to sweep me in whatever direction the stream is going. 

So I had this epiphany.  I'm going to get my legs under me and start standing.  Not just for these documentary things like "Blackfish" or "The Cove" but for me, my family, my business, my beliefs and the list goes on and on.

Example:  When we were at Wolfson's, they were pushing tylenol in Rosie like mad.  Her "temp" was 100.9.  I wanted to say,  "No, please don't give my 6 month old tylenol for a 100 degree fever.   It's unnecessary and I'm not comfortable with it."  But I sat... definitely didn't stand.

I imagine, as with anything, standing up takes practice.  And its not going to come overnight.  Anyways, those are my thoughts.

And my dad is really smart.




    

No comments: