Friday, December 14, 2012

ears & bigger things

Last week Maeve had her 5 year appointment;  She is like the textbook child.  I've never worried about her health, her progress, milestones, etc.  I don't worry about her getting hurt because she isn't the kid who would climb on top of the fridge (that's Henry.. and Stella).  When she's sick its usually nothing more than some sniffles.  Once in a blue moon she'll run a fever.  But she is seriously such a LOW maintenance, easy kid.  No fuss.  No worries.  (aside from a dramatic melt down here and there).


When she failed her hearing test last Friday I was a bit stunned.  It was so out of the blue- completely not on my radar at all.  Dr. Cline referred us to an audiologist and ENT up in Jacksonville.  And to be honest,  I really wasn't concerned.  She can obviously hear- she has awesome communication skills, using words way beyond her age. 

Today was the big day.  I was excited that I had a sitter for Henry and Stella.  It's rare I get one on one time with Maeve.  I was also excited because I seriously thought that she'd be checked out and we'd be told the first test was wrong, she's fine... go on, etc.

It didn't quite work out that way.

Maeve failed AGAIN, showing moderate 45% hearing loss in her left ear.  We scheduled a CT scan, genetic testing and an MRI.

I gave myself a pity party on the way home.  And then I turned on the news.  Was I really just angry and crying about Maeve's left ear?  Yeah.  Sadly, I was.

Am I upset that Maeve has to have some tests and she has this fairly significant hearing loss?  Yes.
 But, I think today was a huge reminder for everyone that life is precious and so much more than an ear. 

I was able to hug her, hold her, tell her how much I loved her.  Something I know 20 parents in Connecticut right now, would give anything to do.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very true. Hug all your kiddos tonight and thank God for them. I am sorry Maeve is having problems, but in light of what is happening in the world today, it is a completely manageable. My prayers are going out tonight for the families, friends, and community affected by the shooting.