Tuesday, August 3, 2010

my walks... my weight...my woes.

Hmm... I can't quite remember when I decided I needed to get my large self up and moving... but I'm thinking it was about 6-8 weeks ago? Something like that...

Anywho, my fatness had reached a point that it was just plain gross. My sweat pants were getting tight on me (again!) but this time I didn't have a baby belly to blame it on. It was time to clean up my eating & start moving.

I started out with small changes- making sure I eat oatmeal EVERY single morning for breakfast (which can be a huge pain on those mornings that pushing the coffee button is a lot of work) but I've noticed if I eat a hearty bowl of oatmeal in the morning, I'm good for the rest of the day- meaning, I don't feel the need to gorge or stuff myself on anything.

It's funny- I also said I was cutting out alcohol. And I guess I *kind* of have?!?! But at the same time, if its a special occasion, I'll drink. Yeah- can't deny that one! But I used to regularly have a glass of wine or a beer at night (with dinner/after dinner) and that's been cut out.

On top of the teeny tiny diet changes I've made, I also decided I needed to walk. I am not a runner. I've never been a runner- never will be a runner- and that's fine. I am totally good with walking. I had a "sit down" with Ryan and told him that I love our family walks at night but I needed to get out by myself. He agreed...

I've been walking alone (sometimes for just 20 minutes- sometimes for an hour... it depends on my mood) for a few weeks now. Every night I get out there, (with my trusty ipod of course) I think to myself "summer is almost over- what am I going to do without these nightly walks???"

My walks are so much more than a means for weight loss. If you were to catch me mid-walk, don't be shocked to see tears... or sometimes a beaming smile. My walks are my time. MY catch up time. I tend to reflect on the day- over analyze every conversation I had, things I said to my kids, to Ryan, etc. There are always things I wish I would've said or done differently. On that same note, usually after the tear fest, I have a huge smile- beaming from ear to ear- (sometimes because of a great song that just came on) but mostly because the sun is setting and I'm headed home, to my little house, with my two babies that are asleep and a husband who's waiting to hold me.

Life is really good. Even if its not what I want at the moment. In the grand scheme of things- its good.

Here are two quotes I've put on replay in my brain:

“Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.”- Robert C. Gallagher

“Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.” -Arnold Bennett

And to end this post...
If you're curious about my weight in NUMBERS... I've lost close to 18 lbs. I weigh somewhere in the 120's. Whether that's 129 or 120 shall remain a mystery :) HA (I'm sure you can guess which end of the scale I'm at :) I'm crediting the actual loss in poundage to the walking, stress, sushi and coffee :)
"Before" (8 weeks pp)


"After" (HAHA- what, like 8 MONTHS PP???)

I myself, wanted to see a before/after... even though I still have a good 10 lbs to go before I'll call it good. And when you look at the pics side by side... ummm I'm still flabby... but, things are falling into place... ahhhh sigh....



7 comments:

Angie B said...

YAY congrats!

k and j said...

Good girl! I am not a runner but I am forcing myself to be a runner. I used to be back in the day but now that I have had two babies, put on and lost 30 pounds twice, aged etc. Running has been a challenge! I swear for me it's mostly an age thing! Ha. My body just doesn't work the same as it used to! Anyway, I have been getting really motivated lately too so thanks for the extra boost! Loved this post :)

Jessy Schoch said...

Blah..I hate you!! Just kidding, but really you suck!! I've been running for months, and I am NOT a runner and I haven't lost a pound, not a single one :( Thanks for the motivation to kick it into high gear, I would love to drop 18 pounds!! Congrats to you!! Thanks for posting, I was going through withdrawals!!

Anonymous said...

Seriously!! Oh goodness.... that just made me want to barf, you've lost that much and way that much and I am the one getting married and still look like a whale and have no time to get in shape whatsoever, I wish I could look as fabulous as you for my wedding :( Oh well. Some things you just have to accept. I was hoping stress would make me lost it, but no guess I am one of those that gains it. Wish I had your motivation.

Mallory said...

way to go ash! that is AMAZING, seriously. 18 pounds and so quickly-good for you!!!!
Someday you and i will run a 5k together...even if we walk half of it, we will do it together... it will be a check off of your bucket list, too :)

deverna2004 said...

you look great ash!! good for you!! i'm super jealous.. :( nothing is happening here in the weightloss department.. :(

Dani said...

Good for you! You look great. I cringe when the doctor says I need to get on the scale. I am NOT looking forward to that post-baby body work.