Friday, October 2, 2009

Just HAD to Share!

I've been cooking a TON of soups lately- I think it might be the weather... also Maeve is a soup-a-holic. Weird- since she is so picky about things, but put down a bowl of soup in front of her and she'll sit and eat for a good half hour, picking all the "good stuff" out of it :) I've also been trying out new recipes because I'm doing a soup bar for Maeve's 2nd birthday party... anyways, I tried a recipe last night that is SO WORTH sharing! It was AWESOME- Maeve absolutely loved it and between the 3 of us, we just about finished a pot! Here's the recipe:

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic , minced
1 tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers
1 (10.5 oz) can low sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups of water
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can of black beans
1/4 cup of cilantro
2-3 chicken breasts (I used a rotisserie chicken last night- I'd suggest doing this just because the chicken was SO tender and made the soup that much better! I can't stand tough chicken...)


1. Heat oil over medium and saute garlic & onions until they're soft.

2. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes. (I was also peeling pears at this time and not really paying attention to the soup and it was actually boiling- not simmering...)

3. Stir in corn, beans, cilantro & chicken. Simmer again for 10 more minutes.

4. We topped our soup with montery jack cheese and chips... I also made cornbread muffins- it was sooooooo good!

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as we did! It is PERFECT for a chilly fall night!

No comments: