Wednesday, July 11, 2012

checking in & checking out.

Checking In:


My Surgery:
It's been planned for almost two months, and I've been okay with it... until tonight.  Now I'm freaking out.  Typical me.  It is SUCH a simple procedure (knock on wood)- I don't even know why its called surgery- they're not really fixing anything.  But I cried tucking the kids in tonight, knowing I won't see them tomorrow.  Ugh.

Monday was my pre-op appointment and I supposed that was when the nerves started to gain some footing.  I was totally- and I mean totally- unprepared.  I thought a pre-op was like a well child check or something.  I showed up at my urologists office, only to be told that my pre-op was at the hospital and I'd be admitted for a few hours.  WHAT?!?!?!  I had just left all 3 of my kids with my mom at Chick-fil-a... not good.

I showed up at the hospital 30 minutes late to my appointment and was a literal hot mess.  I was burning up with a fever.  Stella and I had both been stricken with some kind of awful summer flu this past weekend.  Thankfully her's only lasted 2 days.  Mine is still lingering.  After filling out the initial paper work they sent me back to check my vitals with a nurse.  I wasn't two seconds into that assessment before I had one of those flu masks over my face.  Nice.  Besides my temp, every thing else was fine, and I was sent for lab work and an EKG. 

I knew I needed to call my mom and break the news to her that this was going to be more than a 30 minute appointment.  I had no clue what was going to happen; I had the van with all the car seats and she was literally STUCK at chick-fil-a.  I pictured them taking naps on the booths.  And beyond that, I knew my mom had her own appointment at 11.  I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty phone call.

After a lot of arguing  discussing, my mom convinced me to find a nurse and tell them I needed to leave.  Long story short,  I ended up wandering around the surgery ward in a gown and hospital mask looking for a nurse who would bail me out.  I eventually found a saint of a nurse who drew my blood, gave me an EKG and clipped my hospital band off- all within 5 minutes. 

Anyways, I'm not sure if it was the turbulent pre-op or just that its tomorrow, but I'm suddenly filled with that sick, nervousness.

So what exactly am I going under for?  Here's the rundown:

A Cystoscopy (bladder scope to check the health of my bladder and to get a tissue sample/biopsy)
A Ureteroscopy (dilation of ureters -tubes leading from kidneys to bladder- to retrieve my kidney stones)
And finally, if everything looks okay, vaporizing the scar tissue in my bladder lining.  Apparently I've had SO many infections over the years, and there's some significant thickening. 


So see?  No coronary bypass craziness.  Simple in and out.  Ryan will be at the hospital with me, my mom and grandma here at home with the kids.  Everything should be straight forward and go smoothly

Always the pessimist, I am trying SO hard to come at this with a very optimistic attitude ;)

But friends, I would always, always appreciate a quick prayer.  Especially about the biopsy part.  Just hearing the word "biopsy" makes me nervous. 

So that's that.


And one last part to this post that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my bladder.  My hometown, Jackson, MI has been in the news way too much lately.  Just yesterday I heard two very sad, sad stories and while friends, family and I poke fun at the dirty J, I want it to be known that I am a Jacksonian at heart and always will be.  I know those streets like the back of my hand.  I've climbed Cascades hill too many times to count and I've watched in wonder as hot air balloons fill the sky.

While living there, it seemed perfectly appropriate to crack jokes about Walmart, the Jackson County fair and other notorious Jackson hang-outs.  Now that I'm not living in Jackson, I guess I've kind of lost that card.  And that's okay.  I just want to apologize to anyone who's feelings may have been hurt by links or anything that I said or posted about the town.  Know that I never meant it in a malicious way, and that even though our life is down here in the sunshine state, Jackson will always, always have a place in my heart. 

I guess that's it.  And I hope that makes sense.

Checking out.  (wish me luck?!)

Ash :)



No comments: