Here's what you need:
-chicken (I used the chicken tenders- so much easier to cut/shred and manage)
-an enchilada kit like this one :)- I got it on sale at Kroger and used a coupon, so it was super cheap. If you don't want to buy an "enchilada KIT" you can definitely get by with tortillas, enchilada sauce and some spices.
-1 can of tomatoes with chili peppers
Alright! Once you've got your food items, you're good to cha cha!
- Dump salsa (I used one little jar of it) and the tomatoes with chili peppers into the crock pot.
- Clean the chicken tenders and squeeze them into the crockpot. Make sure the chicken is completely covered/engulfed in liquid! Otherwise, you'll end up with chicken jerky... ehh.
- Cook the chicken on low for 6 hours or on high for 3. I cooked it on high.
- When the chicken is close to being done, start your rice and preheat your oven to 400.
- Once the chicken is done, throw it into a pan and add the enchilada spices (and I believe you also add a half cup of water- the box will tell you for sure though)
- Let the enchilada spices and chicken thicken up... I started to shred my chicken a little bit to make it easier to put in the enchiladas.
- When the mixture looks good and thick, its time to assemble!
- I stuffed mine with the chicken/tomato mixture, rice and some cheese right on the seam of the enchilada to make sure it stayed together.
- Spray your baking pan, roll them up like cigars in a line, pour the enchilada sauce ALL over- completely covering them, top with cheese, cover with foil and bake 'em! I baked mine at 350- but that was because I had a cake in there. I think you're "supposed" to bake them at 400... but they turned out just fine.... remember everything is already cooked ;)
- serve with tortilla chips... & if you're lucky enough to be able to have a margarita, go for that too... YUMMMMMMMMMM!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! Ryan even said "Ash, I think I can safely say these are the best chicken enchiladas I've ever had."
And here's a "SWEET" photo of Mr. Henry enjoying a DISNEY choco chip cookie ;) It's my entry for Simplicity's challenge.