Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"So WHAT HAPPENED???"

Haha... this is the question that I've been getting asked for the past day or so... let me just tell you (and document for my records) the events of last night :)

Around 4 or so, I started to tidy up a little before Ryan came home (at 5). Just moving some stuff around, picking up toys that the kids had thrown all over the place... ya know. Henry was on a blanket next to the bed... I was trying to move THIS thing from our room back out and into the living room. The edge of the farm caught on the door... I went tumbling over the top of the farm, stuck my left hand out and completely jammed up my left arm. I stood up right away and looked at it- it didn't look deformed or anything but as soon as I tried to straighten it, it felt super funky. I had never broken a bone before so I wasn't sure if this is what it felt like or not... strange- it was painful, but more than anything it was uncomfortable- ya know? That difference between SEVERE, SEVERE pain and that annoying discomfort? Well I had a teeny minute of severe pain but it quickly switched to annoying discomfort. But I guess it was uncomfortable enough for me to call up Ryan and tell him I thought I had hurt it pretty bad. He of course panicked and was like "Well lay down- don't move- don't get lightheaded, etc..." :) I laid down on the bed- Henry was on the floor (THANK GOD in a good mood, entertaining himself with his feet- I was not sure how in the world I'd pick him up if I had to). While I waited for Ryan to come to the rescue I called my mom to tell her she might need to watch the kids... so of course she came right over. Then I got upset because I started remembering watching those ER shows where they pop bones back into place and I DID NOT want to have that done.

Ryan got home and took a look and said "Yeah... we better get it checked out." With the images of "bone setting" flashing through my head I was saying "No I think its alright... lets just wait." BUT we ended up going because my mom was there and she could watch the kids... better to be safe than sorry I guess.

We went to medplus- I had a doc named Dr. SICKOLY- I am not kidding- (maybe his name was spelled SICOLY but you pronounced it "SICK-OLY"- and I got a kick out of that). They xrayed me right away... Doc came in with my elbow xrays first and pointed out that I had chipped the EPYPHISIS of my humerus and had a pretty good sized hairline fracture up it as well. He told the nurse to splint it and wrap it to my body in a sling... all that good stuff. I thought I was on my way, but then he came back in and said he wanted one more pic of the hairline fracture. SO back to the x ray room I went- to have my arm twisted some more... um...OUCH. Turns out the hairline fracture was actually a Greenstick fracture. And the doc didn't like how close it was to my "fat pad" (he used the word "fat pad" about 300000 times...I was getting ticked.)- apparently the fracture could splinter INTO my FAT PAD and that would be bad. So he sent my xrays off to the hossy for a radiologist to take a better look.

We came home- I popped my motrin 800 (YAHOO) and went to bed- no news is good news I suppose- because we never heard back that I needed to have it casted. But I am supposed to go to my PCP tomorrow for him to make the final say. I will get on my knees and beg if need be to NOT HAVE A CAST. I can't even manage to keep this stupid splint on. (its off at the moment... because yes, I just HAD to type on the computer today...) No really though- I had it on for awhile and this morning went to get Henry out of his crib and I couldn't do it. I COULD NOT pick him up without using 2 hands/arms! So I took the splint off and I can't really figure out how to wrap it all back up and secure it to my body.

All in all, I'm doing really well. The pain is like a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Totally manageable. It only REALLY hurts when I put pressure on it. Otherwise its just that annoying throbbing pain.

Soooo... there you have it. Another "Ashley" injury to add to the list. Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts :) I'm really fine though- I am sore of course but going about my daily stuff. Visited Angie & Layla (and got a Leslie surprise!) and went to the store for bottle liners... really, I just feel like a dork for tripping over the farm and sticking my arm out to catch my giant body... SPEAKING of giant bodies... OMG so I know I had my purse in my hands, I was in a sweatshirt and sweatpants and had shoes on AND it was at the end of the day AND I'm like a day away from getting my monthly visitor, BUT yeah I guess I've put on some more weight. Funny because I was just going to do a post about how my weight won't go anywhere- not up or down... just staying at the same number. Well... I guess it can go up. Fabulous. And now with the elbow injury (dear Lord) who knows when I'll get to running??? I think I'm just destined to be one of those fat moms in mom jeans (or sweats in my case) for the rest of my life... Blah...

4 comments:

Angie B said...

thats crazy ashley! thats something i would do. lol anyways no u will not be a fat mom!!! you are gorgeous and u will get there! we both ;) haha i need to get into shape...

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

How did you ever tumble, jump and keep your balance on a 4 inch wide beam??? :) I'm glad you're feeling ok. And don't worry, you'll be back running in no time!

Unknown said...

Karen- that's so funny- because one of the first things I told Ryan (while I was crying and in hysterics) was that I remembered learning how to fall WAY back in the day (like at Great Lakes) and that I couldn't BELIEVE I'd stuck an ARM out to catch myself! #1 no no!

deverna2004 said...

awww ash!! i'm glad to hear you're okay.. that's totally something i would do too.. and you look great.. you're not going to be a 'fat mom' wearing mom jeans!!