Monday, June 9, 2008

The Hottest Summer





Wooooah Baby it was hot that summer! I waddled around in skirts and tank tops with a water bottle in one hand and a chocolate milkshake in the other. Of course I was suffering through this hot summer during my LAST trimester! I entered into the first week of my 3rd trimester around mid July. My 2nd trimester had gone fantastically so I was hopeful for the 3rd. Right from the start of it though things were very different. I started gaining weight like nobody's business (yes I know now, not to drink 3 milkshakes a day) and I started getting these strange heart palpitations. At first they were just incredibly annoying, but then they got to be downright scary. I mentioned them to my doctor a few times and he said they were from anxiety (which I suffer from) so I was trying to brush them off as just that- anxiety. But as the due date approached, the heat got hotter, and my belly got bigger, the heart palps. got so bad. One day I was at the dance studio with my little sis, Em. We were all by ourselves, just working on some paper stuff. I went to the bathroom and when I stood up to go, I got this hot flash and a few really bad heart palps. It felt like heat had gone from my toes up to my head. My ears were buzzing and I had splotchy vision for a few seconds. Emily knew something was wrong so she was like "Ashley call Ryan and lets go." So Ryan met us at the house and we drove up to the ER. It was around 2 or 3 in the afternoon when we got there and they admitted me right away. It was terrifying- I truly hope none of you ever have to go through something like this!!! I was hooked up to about a bazillion monitors and questions were being thrown at me left and right. I had one nurse trying to get my heart rate and another trying to get sweet Maeves. I was crying and begging for my dad... (sweet huh? Dads make everything better, I swear by that.) After a very long night in the ER and a few rounds of saline, and an anti anxiety drug, AND an Echo, EKG and too much blood work to even begin to think about, I was released with a beta blocker and the order to see a cardiologist. So the ending of this whole story is that I had to wear a holtor monitor and be on a beta blocker at the end of my pregnancy. The heart palps. never went away though- I had them through the entire delivery and my post partum stay at the hospital. They finally went away sometime in mid November. Scary stuff..... Needless to say, I had a horrendous 3rd trimester and was SO READY for October to get there!!!

No comments: