Friday, October 23, 2009

Cutouts of Memories :)






I think that's a line from some song...

But anyways, yesterday during Maeve's nap I made a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) batch of sugar cookie dough. The plan was to make it, put it in the fridge so it would set well & decorate cookies when Ryan got home from work. I have TONS of memories of decorating holiday cookies (Halloween included :) with my mom and sisters, so its something that I've been wanting to do with Maeve. Granted, I bake and cook all the time and she "helps" me pour in things and she is always willing to lick the excess batter. But I wanted to get her really involved with the sugar cookies. I set up a tray with flour and cookie cutters and a big hunk of dough. Unfortunately I think she is still a bit too young to totally understand what the goal was- she pulled apart her dough, threw it to the dogs, stuck it on the table, you get the picture. After a lot of wasted dough, I told Ryan I'd do the cookie cutting & then she could decorate. A few batches of cookies later, and all was well :) She did GREAT decorating! I would've taken more pics but my camera died... blah. But she definitely got the hang of the sprinkles... and surprise, surprise, her favorite part of the whole evening? Eating the cookies!! Especially the bats- she thought those were extra "spoooooky."

3 comments:

The Paulk's said...

Sounds familiar...I always try these fun activities for the kids and they just don't usually work out the way I plan :). She will have the pictures now and the memories in a few years and I'm sure she'll enjoy it just as much as you did when you were younger!

Unknown said...

haha yup- that's how it goes around here too ;) But its still fun to try :)

Becky said...

great pictures! :) it looks like she had fun!