Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Maybe I've been better off with things that can't be locked at all..."

"I’ve been losing lots of keys lately,
I don’t know what that means
But maybe I’ve been better off with things that can’t be locked at all"
"Losing Keys", Jack Johnson


Alright, I just had to start off this post with something about keys... I did the most horrible, awful, brainless thing ever today. I already feel like a terrible mom so no need for berating: I LOCKED THE KID IN THE CAR.
It was the longest 15 minutes of my life. We were out at the studio (where I work)and I was getting Maeve into the car. I was letting her play with the keys, she pressed the lock button on them without me knowing it, I tossed the keys to the front seat, shut her door and just like that, the most precious thing in my life was locked in a HOT car. My first reaction, seriously- was a laugh- I laughed out of pure terror and unbelief. I looked around and there was NOBODY. I was alone in the middle of the parking lot. So first, I called Ryan and told him to hurry with the spare keys... then I ran inside the studio and started causing chaos by yelling "I locked my baby in the car!!!!" Soon I had about 4 moms trailing behind me outside to the jeep. This was the absolute worst part of it all- my whole car was surrounded by moms and kids who were knocking on the windows trying to get Maeve happy- yeeeahhhh... so all that did was get her upset and she started to wail. I wanted to punch out the window and grab her, and I would have but I was on the phone with Ryan and he was keeping me updated on where he was, and he really wasn't too far away. So I just stood there paralyzed while all the other mommies were trying to entertain Maeve. Then all of a sudden these two college guys walked up and saw the situation (which by this point was looking really desperate). Being guys, they knew exactly what to do- they got a snow scraper and wedged the passenger door, then got this skinny little pole and stuck it down through the gap in the door and wiggled the lock enough to open the door! Maeve was probably in the car a total of 10 minutes and that was a long time for a baby to be in a hot car. The whole situation makes me sick and brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.
Its really been such a long, hard day... full of lots of emotion :( What I need to do is go to sleep and start over tomorrow.... that's all you can do as a mom... you don't get do overs when you do something wrong, you just learn from it, hope you don't do it again, and move on.

1 comment:

k and j said...

Aw that sucks!!! I have always wondered when I would do that same exact thing! Don't worry about it Ash :)